How to Whiten Your Teeth Naturally at Home?
According to a survey, 80% of Americans aged 18 to 49 want whiter teeth, with women leading in this area at 85%. 6 out of 10 believe a whiter, brighter smile boosts self-confidence, especially in the 18 to 24 age range.
People often notice your smile when they first meet you, and white, sparkling teeth help you create a positive impression, be confident, and look your best.
Everyone desires to have a flawless smile with shiny white teeth. Unfortunately, with time, teeth become stained or turn yellow due to various factors such as diet, age, and lifestyle habits.
There are many commercial products available in the market that promise to whiten teeth but often contain harsh chemicals that can damage your mouth. Though, there are natural ways to whiten teeth at home that are both safe and effective.
What is Teeth Whitening?
In simple words, teeth whitening is a cosmetic dental procedure used to remove discoloration from the teeth. People use teeth whitening to enhance their smiles and improve their appearance.
Teeth whitening methods can range from over-the-counter products to professional treatments done by dentists.
What Causes Teeth Discoloration?
Nobody wants stained teeth as it affects one’s self-esteem and confidence, leading to a reluctance to smile or even speak in public. So, what is the reason behind your pearly whites turning ugly yellow?
Several factors cause discoloration of teeth. Let’s look at them:
- Food and drinks: Certain foods and drinks like coffee, tea, fizzy beverages, red wine, sauces, and dark-colored fruits, such as berries contain pigments that can stain the teeth.
- Use of Tobacco: Smoking or chewing tobacco can cause yellow or brown stains on the teeth due to nicotine and tar.
|Twenty-eight percent of smokers report having moderate and severe levels of tooth discoloration.|
- Poor Oral Hygiene: Inadequate brushing and flossing can lead to the buildup of plaque, which can cause the teeth to appear yellow or brown.
- Age: As we age, the enamel on our teeth naturally wears away and reveals the yellowish dentin underneath.
- Medication: Some medicines can cause discoloration of the teeth, especially in children whose teeth are still developing.
NOTE: There are commonly two types of teeth stains such as:
- Extrinsic stains: are surface stains that appear on the outside of the tooth enamel. They are caused by consuming staining substances and can often be removed by regular brushing and professional dental cleaning.
- Intrinsic stains: on the other hand, occur within the tooth enamel caused by a variety of factors such as genetics, aging, trauma, etc. These stains are more difficult to remove and require advanced dental treatments.
Which Home Remedies Work For Teeth Whitening?
Some of the remedies may give you instant teeth whitening experience
Home Remedies for Stained Teeth are:
1. Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide: Also known as Bicarbonato – baking soda in Spanish. Mix baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to make a paste, and brush your teeth with it for 2-3 minutes. Rinse thoroughly afterward.
2. Oil pulling: Take a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth for 10-15 minutes before spitting it out. Oil pulling has been shown to help remove stains and promote oral health.
3. Activated charcoal: Dip your toothbrush in activated charcoal powder and brush your teeth with it for 2-3 minutes. Rinse thoroughly immediately after.
4. Strawberries: Mash a few strawberries and apply the paste to your teeth. Leave it on for 5 minutes and rinse off. The malic acid in strawberries helps reduce stains, leaving your teeth whiter.
5. Apple cider vinegar: Mix a small amount of apple cider vinegar with water and swish it around in your mouth for about 30 seconds before spitting it out.
Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial properties that help remove surface stains on teeth. However, it’s important to be cautious while using vinegar on teeth.
Why Natural Teeth Whitening is Better Than Chemicals?
Chemical teeth whiteners contain harsh ingredients that can damage your teeth and gums.
Natural teeth whitening treatments, on the other hand, are gentle and safe for oral health. Additionally, natural remedies contain antioxidants that can promote your overall oral health. Also, natural teeth whitening methods are often much cheaper than chemical products.
If you are concerned about the discoloration of your teeth, it is best to consult a dentist for a proper diagnosis and treatment options.
The Final Words
Remember, these natural remedies may not work for everyone, so to achieve a bright & beautiful smile, it’s important to maintain good dental hygiene. It is also a smart idea to visit your dentist before trying any teeth whitening techniques.
If you want to whiten your teeth, consult the best in the industry, Genuine Dental. Get your dream smile today.